- Fall Semester: February 15
- Spring Semester: November 15
- A 3.0 GPA in the undergraduate degree or last 60 semester (90 quarter) units attempted, including credential courses.
- A valid preliminary or clear single subject teaching credential
- Evidence of employment as a full or part time teacher or evidence of permission to work on a regular basis within a school setting through a volunteer program or other agreement
- Evidence of written English proficiency
- An interview with the graduate coordinator and/or other graduate advisors
- Online Graduate Application
- Application fee $55.00
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- TOEFL or IELTS score report (international students only)
See Step 1 below for instructions.
An abstract describing your research interest
- Official transcript(s) from every college or university attended
- A copy of your preliminary or clear single subject teaching credential
- Copies of teaching evaluations reflecting 2 years of successful teaching.
- A recommendation letter from a principal on school letterhead indicating your readiness for starting an MA degree
- Two additional professional recommendation letters
- Written statement of purpose
- About 750 words
- Demonstrate writing skills appropriate for graduate level work in secondary education
- A continuation/elaboration of your research interest, and/or inclusive of your goals for pursuing the degree and describing your readiness for the program based on professional and academic preparation, and dispositions as a teacher.
See Step 2 below for instructions
How to Apply
Step 1: Application to Division of Graduate Studies
You must first apply to the university through the Division of Graduate Studies. If you are a US resident follow the Domestic Students procedure. If you are a non-US resident follow the International Students procedure.
1. Apply to graduate study through SF State's online application system (this will link you to Cal State Apply). The Office of Graduate Admissions no longer accepts paper applications.The application fee is 55.00 USD and we recommend that you pay online by credit card at the moment you submit your application.
2. Send the Division of Graduate Studies the following:
Send the above documents to: Go to Domestic Admissions page of Division of Graduate Studies website
Step 2: Apply to the Secondary Education Department
You must also apply directly to the specific department within the Graduate College of Education for this program.
A limited number of students not meeting the 3.0 GPA may be admitted conditionally, particularly applicants who have been identified as highly promising or particularly talented teachers.
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue
Burk Hall, Room 43
San Francisco, CA 94132
Step 3: Confirm Admission Status
After submitting your applications you can confirm your admission status on your SF State Gateway account.