I received my B.A. in English in 1982 from Wesleyan University, my Ed.M. from Harvard University in 1984, and my Ph.D. in Language and Literacy from the University of California at Berkeley in 1994. I have taught in the Department of Elementary Education at San Francisco State University since 1997. I teach classes on English Language Arts Development (K-3), Narrative Inquiry and Memoir, First and Second Language and Literacy Learning, M.A. Culminating Experience, International Education, and I supervise student teachers. I teach both in the M.A. Program in Early Childhood Education and also the Multiple Subject Credential Program. Along with Dr. Barbara Henderson, I am Co-Coordinator of the M.A. Early Childhood Program.
My research interests are in the areas of teacher research, language and literacy learning, and narrative. I am active as an elementary school and preschool teacher in the Berkeley Unified School District.
All books are available through Teachers College Press at http://www.teacherscollegepress.com/
- Meier, D. (in press). (Ed.). The power of stories: Using narrative to promote children’s language and literacy learning.New York: Teachers College Press.
- Meier, D. and Henderson, B. (2007). Understanding children: The art and science of teacher research. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Meier, D. (2004). The young child’s memory for words — First and second language and literacy. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Meier, D. (2000). Scribble scrabble: Learning to read and write — Success with diverse teachers, children, and families.New York: Teachers College Press.
- Meier, D. (2007). Learning in small moments: Life in an urban classroom. Practitioner Inquiry Series. New York: Teachers College Press.
Voices of Practitioners, online feature showcasing teacher research in early childhood education. Co-Editor with Dr. Barbara Henderson. National Association for the Education of Young Children. Go tohttp://www.naeyc.org/publications/vop for submission guidelines and you can also contact me via email regarding questions about article submission.