Daniel Meier is Professor of Elementary Education at San Francisco State University. He teaches in the M.A. program in Early Childhood education, the Multiple Subject Teaching Credential Program with an Early Childhood emphasis, and the Ed.D. program in Educational Leadership. He teaches courses in reading/language arts, multilingual development, narrative inquiry and memoir, educational research, and international education. Dr. Meier received his B.A. in English literature from Wesleyan University, Ed.M. in Reading and Language from Harvard University, and Ph.D. in Language and Literacy from the Graduate School of Education, University of California at Berkeley. He has written numerous articles and books on early childhood education, language and literacy education, international education, narrative inquiry, and reflective practice and teacher research. Dr. Meier works with local early childhood inquiry groups in the Bay Area as well as teaching preschool in the area of language and literacy development.
- Dajani, M. & Meier, D. (2018). The role of narrative in culturally responsive literacy education: A collaborative project in U.S. and Palestinian preschools. International Journal of Early Years Education.
- Escamilla, I.M. & Meier, D.R. (2017). The promise of teacher inquiry and reflection: Early childhood teachers as change agents. Studying Teacher Education, 14(1), 1-19.
- Kroll, L.K. & Meier, D.R. (2017). Documentation and inquiry in the early childhood classroom: Research stories of engaged practitioners in urban centers and schools. New York: Routledge.
- Sisk-Hilton, S. & Meier, D.R. (2016). Narrative inquiry in early childhood and elementary school: Learning to teach, teaching well. New York: Routledge.
- Kroll, L.R. & Meier, D.R. (Eds.). (2015). Educational change in international early childhood contexts: Crossing borders of reflection. (Co-Published). New York: Routledge. Washington, DC: Association for Childhood International.
- Meier, D. & Sisk-Hilton, S. (Eds.). (2013). Nature education in early childhood education: Integrating inquiry and practice. New York: Routledge.
- Perry, G., Henderson, B., & Meier, D.R. (Eds.). (2012). Our inquiry, our practice: Undertaking, supporting, and learning from early childhood teacher researchers. Washington, D.C.: National Association for the Education of Young Children.
- Meier, D. (2011). Teaching children to write: Constructing meaning and mastering mechanics. (Co-Published). New York, NY: Teachers College Press. Berkeley, CA: National Writing Project.