The Graduate College of Education coordinates all credential programs offered at SF State, both within the GCOE and through other colleges. Within the GCOE, a range of educator preparation programs are offered that include preliminary credentials for teachers in elementary (Multiple Subjects), high school (Secondary), special education (Education Specialist) with traditional and intern teacher program options. Additional program options for teachers include the Bilingual Authorization in Spanish and Chinese language. In addition, services credentials are offered in Speech-Language Pathology Services, Orientation and Mobility, and Reading Literacy and Language Specializations. Other Added Authorizations in Early Childhood Special Education and Orthopedic Impairment are also available in Special Education. Preparation for school principals is also provided through the Administrative Services Credential.
Outside of the GCOE, the Personnel Pupil Services Credentials are offered in Psychology in the College of Science and Engineering; Social Work and Counseling in the College of Health and Social Sciences. Authorization in Adapted Physical Education is also offered in the College of Health and Social Sciences.
A TEACH Grant can help you pay for college if you plan to become a teacher in a high-need field in a low-income area.
Teaching and Services Credentials
The Graduate College of Education at SF State is fully accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) through 2021-2022 to offer the following credential programs.
- Multiple Subject Preliminary
- Multiple Subject Preliminary with Bilingual Authorization in Cantonese, Mandarin or Spanish
- Intern Multiple Subject (more information coming soon)
- Intern Multiple Subject with Bilingual Authorization in Cantonese, Mandarin or Spanish (more information coming soon)
- Administrative Services Preliminary
- Intern Administrative Services
- Pupil Personnel Services School Counseling (offered in the Department of Counseling, College of Health and Social Sciences)
- Pupil Personnel Services, School Psychology (offered in the Department of Psychology, College of Science and Engineering)
- Pupil Personnel Services, School Social Work (offered in the Department of Social Work, College of Health and Social Sciences)
- Intern Pupil Personnel Services (School Counseling) (more information coming soon)
- Intern Pupil Personnel Services (School Psychology)