Laura Epstein( She/Her/Hers )
Laura Epstein, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, Associate Professor and Coordinator, Program in Communicative Disorders; school internship coordinator, Department of Special Education & Communicative Disorders. Research interests include Spanish-bilingual language development, classroom-based intervention, and school-based issues. Received the California Speech-Language-Hearing Association Diversity Award in 2011, and the California Healthcare Foundation Leadership Fellowship in 2010.
- 1994 University of California, Santa Barbara, Ph.D., Speech and Hearing Sciences.
- 1990 University of California, Santa Barbara, M.A., Speech and Hearing Sciences.
- 1988 San Jose State University, curriculum in Communication Disorders & Sciences.
- 1983 University of London, Institute of Archaeology, M.S., Bioarchaeology.
- 1982 University of California, Berkeley, B.A., Anthropology.
Certification and Licenses
- Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 1991-present
- California State License in Speech and Language Pathology, Speech Language and Audiology Licensing Board, 1991-present
- Epstein, L. and Shah, P. (In Press). Classroom-Based Services in an Urban Middle School: Strategies for Becoming Part of the Solution. Perspectives on School-Based Issues (SIG 16).
- Epstein, L., Solomon-Rice, P.L., & Yu, B. (2017). Speech/language impairments and communication disorders. In Y. Bui & E. Meyen (eds). Exceptional children in today’s schools: What teachers need to know. Pro-Ed: Austin, TX.
- Anthony, J., Epstein, L., and Yu, B. (2016). Speech Sound Acquisition in a Five-Year-Old Spanish-English Bilingual Child. Perspectives on Cultural and Linguistic Diversity (SIG 14), 2, 15-26.
- Epstein, L. (2012). Dimensions of building clinical training teams in the Spanish-bilingual preschool classroom. Perspectives on Administration and Supervision, 22, 28-32.
- Yu, B. and Epstein, L. (2011). Facilitating Critical Reflections About Disability Among Students in Speech-Language Pathology. Perspectives on Issues in Higher Education (ASHA Division 10), 14 (1), 11-20.
- Epstein, L., Nazario, A., & Yu, B. (2009). Evaluation of evidence in evidence-based practice and how library science can help. Perspectives on Issues in Higher Education (ASHA Division 10), 12(1), 32-41.
- Epstein, L. and Pena, E. (2008). Co-Editors, Topics in Language Disorders, 28(3).
- Epstein, L. and Pena, E. (2008). Issue Editor Foreword. Topics in Language Disorders, 28(3).
- Epstein, L. (2008). Clinical therapy data as learning process: The first year of clinical training and beyond. Topics in Language Disorders, 28(3), 274–285.
- Robinson, N. A., Graham, M. S., Epstein, L., Graham, B. J. (2008, April 15). Strategic planning in CSD program: The San Francisco State example. The ASHA Leader, 13(5), 28-30.
- Epstein, L. (2007). The art and science of clinical data collection. CSHA magazine, Summer 2007, 12 – 13.
- Chambers, T., and Epstein, L. (2007). The art and science of clinical interaction. CSHA Magazine, Summer 2007, 3-4.
- Epstein, L., and Chambers, T. (2007). Co-Editors, CSHA Magazine, Summer 2007.