Judith Kysh( She/Her/Hers )
Judith (Judy) Kysh came to San Francisco State in 2000. She is a Professor in the Departments of Secondary Education and Mathematics. Her research interests are in the areas of mathematics education, particularly classroom discourse, and in teacher research and school change. She teaches graduate courses in mathematics education and research methods, credential courses for secondary mathematics teachers, and undergraduate mathematics courses for future teachers.
She began her work in math education in 1962, as a math teacher in the Tamalpais Union High School District, and then, with a UC Berkeley partnership program, worked with teachers and taught math at Elmhurst Junior High and Castlemont High in Oakland. In 1982 she became the Director of the Northern California Mathematics Project at UC Davis, where she worked with K-14 teachers of mathematics in a variety of professional development, curriculum, assessment, and teacher research projects, and helped to establish the statewide California Mathematics Project, which she coordinated during its first two years.
As a co-founder of the College Preparatory Mathematics Program (CPM) she has co-authored four textbooks and contributed to three others, which are used nationwide at the middle and high school levels. She continues to serves as a Director and Board Member for the non-profit organization, CPM Educational Program, which provides professional development for teachers across the US.
- University of California, Davis 1999 Ph.D. Mathematics Education
- University of California, Berkeley 1966 M.A. Mathematics
- University of California, Berkeley 1962 A.B. Mathematics
- California Teaching Credential-General Secondary Life Diploma, 1971.
- California Administrative Services Credential, 1976-1981.
Current Text Books
- Kysh, J, Sallee, T., Dietiker, L., Hoey, B. (2013). Core Connections Algebra 2. Sacramento, CA. CPM Educational Program.
- Johnson, K., Herr, T., Kysh, J. (2012). Crossing the River with Dogs: Problem Solving for College Students (New edition).Hoboken, NJ , John Wiley & Sons.
- Dietiker, L., Kysh, J., Sallee, T., Hoey, B. (2010). Making Connections: Foundations for Algebra, Course 1. Sacramento, CA. CPM Educational Program.
- Dietiker, L., Kysh, J., Sallee, T., Hoey, B. (2010). Making Connections: Foundations for Algebra, Course 2. Sacramento, CA. CPM Educational Program.
- Kysh, J, Sallee, T., Dietiker, L., Hoey, B. (2009). Algebra 2 Connections. Sacramento, CA. CPM Educational Program.
Recent Journal Articles
- Hsu, E., Kysh, J., Resek, D., & Ramage, K. (2012). Changing Teachers’ Conception of Mathematics. NCSM Journal of Mathematics Education Leadership, 14 (1).
- Hsu, E., Kysh, J., Ramage, K., & Resek, D. (2009). Helping Teachers Un-structure: A Promising Approach. The Montana Math Enthusiast, 6 (3).
- Hsu, E., Iwasaki, K., Kysh, J., Ramage, K., and Resek, D. (2009). Three REAL Lessons About Mentoring. In G. Zimmermann, L. Fulmore, P. Guinee and E. Murray (Eds.), Empowering Mentors of Experienced Mathematics Teachers. Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Hsu, E., Kysh, J., Resek, D. (2007). “Seeking Big Ideas in Algebra: the Evolution of a Task.” Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education. 10 (4-6) 325-332.
- Hsu, E., Kysh, J., Resek, D. (2007). “Differentiated Instruction Through Rich Problems.” New England Mathematics Journal. 39, 6-13.
- Coffey, M., Kysh,J., Thompson, A. (Eds.) (2007) Mathematics Teacher 100th Anniversary Issue. January 2007. NCTM, Reston VA.
- Kamii, C., & Kysh, J. (2006). The difficulty of "length x width": Is a square the unit of measurement? Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 25, 105-115.
Grants (since 2000)
- 2008-2009 Center for Science and Mathematics Education, San Francisco State, Teacher Research in Mathematics and Science for K-12 Teachers.
- 2005-2008 California Math Science Partnership with San Rafael City Schools, San Francisco State and Sonoma State Universities.
- 2003-2010 REAL, Revitalizing Algebra, National Science Foundation.
- 2001-2004 San Mateo County Algebra Institute. California Mathematics, Project, University of California Office of the President.
- 2000-2002 Publishing Teacher Research, Spencer Foundation.